Independent Billiard League of Las Vegas
2014 Winter Season
1.1 NAME - The name of this League is the Independent Billiard League of Las Vegas (IBL). We are a non-profit 501 (c)(3) organization.
1.2 PURPOSE - The specific purpose of the Independent Billiard League is to be a permanently organized, not-for-profit pool/billiard league dedicated to the promotion of amateur athletics for all persons in an environment that is safe, healthy, and free of negative attitudes based on differences of sexual orientation, race, age, creed, religion or national origin. A special emphasis shall be placed on the participation of members in the Gay, Lesbian, Bi-Sexual, and Transgender community. The league will promote the welfare development of positive relationships among its members and the community by participation of its members in such athletic, social, cultural, or charitable events. Additionally, the league will provide instruction and competition for its members so as to achieve these purposes.
1.3 PRINCIPLE OFFICE - The principle office of the IBL shall be located in Las Vegas, Nevada and the IBL shall conduct all business through its current address at 1716 Bonita Avenue, Las Vegas, NV 89104 and through it’s website at www.ibl-lasvegas.com.
1.4 STRUCTURE - The IBL holds weekly team play on Tuesday nights in the Las Vegas area conducting two (2) seasons each year.
1.5 DISSOLUTION - The property of the IBL is irrevocably dedicated to public and/or charitable purposes and no part of its net income or assets shall ever inure to the benefit of any director, officer, or member, or to the benefit of any private person. Upon the dissolution or winding up of the IBL, its assets remaining after payment, or provision for payment, of all debts and liabilities shall be distributed to a nonprofit fund, foundation, or corporation which is organized exclusively for public and/or charitable purposes and which has established its tax-exempt status under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3).
2.1 MEMBERSHIP - Membership in the IBL is open to any individual who has reached the legal age of 21 and who wishes to subscribe to the Bylaws, Match Policy and Rules of the League. Qualification for membership shall be without regard to race, sex, creed, color or sexual orientation. Members shall be grouped into teams with a team captain and sponsor.
2.2 SPONSORS - Any business or organization may sponsor teams upon meeting the following requirements:
• Arrange for the free use of an acceptable pool table for the 16 games played during each weekly match in a cocktail lounge, tavern or like establishment. An establishment may have no more than 2 teams per pool table.
• Pay a seasonal sponsor fee at a time and place designated by the IBL Board of Officers.
• Designate one individual as a point of contact between the sponsoring business or organization and the IBL.
2.3 TEAM - Shall be composed of between four and seven players. It is the responsibility of each member to adhere to the policies and rules of the IBL. Each team in a division will play every other team in that division at least twice during the season.
2.4 TEAM CAPTAINS - Are designated by their team members to represent them in the determination of policy that governs the operation/rules of the IBL, with responsibility for the following:
• Must have a phone, email or contact number.
• Ensure that team members are aware of and adhere to all IBL Bylaws, Match Policy and Rules.
• Attend all designated Captain’s Meetings or send a representative.
• Act as host when playing at their team’s sponsor bar by performing duties as assigned by the Board.
• Designate a co-captain to act in their absence.
• When host, must ensure that the score sheet, weekly playing fees and any materials required by the Board are turned in at a drop point immediately following the match.
A team captain can be removed from their position with or without cause, by vote of the team members or by the Board. The team’s sponsor must be notified of the removal.
2.5 TEAM FINES - Failure to turn in score sheets as required by these Bylaws will result in a $5.00 team fine per occurrence. Failure to have team representation at a scheduled Captains meeting will result in a $10.00 fine.
2.6 TEAM PLAYER ADDITIONS - After initial team registration, a player who has qualified as playing 66.6% of the total season games in a division and completed with an average of 50% or higher in any previous season may not play in a lower division without the permission of the Board. Also, players having played 66.6% of the total season games in a division and finishing with a percentage above 66.6% may not join a team in the same division (other than division A) in which they played within the last three seasons without permission of the Board.
2.7 TEAM DROPOUTS - Any team accumulating 16 or more forfeits during any one season may be dropped from the league. If the team to be dropped completed all their matches during the 1st half of the season (this means, without any forfeits occurring in the first half) all matches, wins and losses from opposing teams and individuals will stand and only those scores from the 2nd half of the season will be eliminated. No individual who was part of a dropped team can qualify for playoffs or awards. All money paid into the league by the forfeiting team will be forfeited.
2.8 DIVISIONS - Based on the information provided on new season’s registration forms and prior season’s standings, divisions will be structured at a formal Board meeting prior to the start of the season.
Divisions will be determined accordingly; (1) Prior season standings. (2) Division requests (3) Players overall performance (4) Divisions will be evenly filled to limit numerous byes.
3.1 STRUCTURE - It is each member’s responsibility to pay IBL assessed fees at such time, place and in an amount established. Fees will be assessed as follows:
• Sponsor registration fee
• Weekly player’s fee
3.2 SPONSOR REGISTRATION FEE - Shall be $80.00 per team per season, payable on or before the third week of league play for the first team sponsored. Each additional sponsored team will be $60 per team per season. These funds will go into the IBL operating fund. The sponsor fee will be paid by the sponsoring business, team or individual.
3.3 TEAM REGISTRATION FEE – (Deleted).
3.4 WEEKLY PLAYERS FEE – Shall be $20.00 per team (or $1.25 per game played) per week of regular play, payable at the match each week. The full amount is payable each week without exception. Each player playing that week shall pay their portion of the player fees as determined by the team captains. Regardless of the numbers of players, $20.00 is due without exception.
3.5 DISBURSEMENT OF LEAGUE MONIES – All moneys collected each season shall be used for the purpose of providing its members with trophies (as outlined in the bylaws under Tournaments and Awards), an award banquet, funding West Coast Challenge participation, payments to the Statistician, Treasurer and Webmaster and Board approved IBL operating expenses.
4.0 BOARD OF OFFICERS
4.1 GENERAL - The members of the IBL teams shall elect a Board of Officers, herein referred to as the “Board”, to manage and control IBL affairs and finances. No member of the Board shall be personally liable for any debts, liabilities or obligations of the IBL. Board and league members can be held accountable, however, for any money or property for which they had assumed responsibility. Officers and team captains shall serve with compensation as approved by the team captains.
4.2 NUMBER OF BOARD MEMBERS - The Board of Officers shall consist of five elected members.
4.3 NOMINATIONS – Prior to the last 2 weeks of a season, members interested in running for a Board position shall indicate so on their Tuesday night score sheet. All members have the option to present information to the statistician in regards to their qualifications and/or reasons for seeking a Board position. The information will then be passed on to membership via website with a maximum of seventy-five words. All nominations of league members will be confirmed by the Board prior to the ballot phase.
4.4 TERMS OF OFFICE - An officer’s term of office is for 2 seasons. A newly elected officer will assume office immediately following the West Coast Challenge and will be required, under the direction of the retiring member to assist in planning for play-off matches, the Awards Dinner and the West Coast Challenge.
4.5 NEWLY CREATED BOARD POSITIONS - All newly created positions to the Board of Officers shall be eligible for candidacy and election at the next regularly scheduled Mid-Season’s Captains’ meeting an election of the Board of Officers would take place. If the newly elected Board of Officers, at their first scheduled Board meeting, should determine a need for the newly created position to be filled, then it may temporarily appoint a person to the position until the league members can vote on the candidates.
4.6 ELECTIONS - All officers of the Board of Officers shall be elected by office. The election of such offices shall be by the staggering of elections. To wit: the Summer Season shall have the election of the Vice President, Statistician and Secretary. The Winter Season shall have the election of the President, Treasurer and Public Relations.
At the end of the nomination process, the Secretary shall notify all nominees of their nomination to gain their consent. If any person has been nominated for more than one office, the Secretary shall notify such person of all nominations to gain their consent as well as to gain their desires for which they desire to be elected to. No person shall be placed on the ballot for more than one office per election cycle.
4.7 BALLOTS - If more than one person is nominated for the same Board position, ballots will be distributed prior to the last captains meeting of that season. All team members present and have played at least 1 game prior to ballot issuance can cast a vote for one person in each office. Members voting will sign the bottom of the ballot and completed ballots will be sealed in the provided envelope. Ballot envelopes will be opened and tabulated at the Last Captain’s meeting of the season supervised by a non-board member representative from each division. Candidates with a majority of votes are elected.
4.8 TIE VOTES - Ties shall be broken by a vote of the team captains.
4.9 BOARD POSITIONS - Prior to the start of each season, each current Board Member leaving will provide detail accounting of the position to the newly elected Board member.
4.10 OFFICERS - The officers of the IBL shall be a President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Community Relations Officer. No person may hold more than one office at a time. Officers shall have the following respective duties.
4.11 GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES OF OFFICERS - Shall include but not be limited to the following:
• Meeting at least once per month at a time and place set by the Board and made known to the IBL membership.
• Ensure enforcement of IBL bylaws, match policy and rules by taking appropriate action against teams or individuals who violate Bylaws, Match Policy and Rules or anyone whose conduct is deemed detrimental to the IBL.
• Ensure proper planning and coordination of the IBL’s special events, regular season, playoffs, tournaments and the IBL’s participation in the West Coast Challenge.
• Attend at least 75% of the total Board meetings during the season or obtain the Board’s concurrence of any absences.
• Must have an e-mail address and phone (either cell phone or residential phone).
• Must be a current member of the league.
• Appoint, by majority, Board Members at Large.
• Publish a player’s handbook each year containing Bylaws, Match Policy and Rules. League Histories or other information are a Board’s option.
• Participate as referees at West Coast Challenges, when needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Board.
• Shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the IBL, responsible for conducting meetings, coordination of all functions of the Board and implementation of IBL policy.
• Accept responsibility for the duties assigned to any other Board member, which that member is unable or unwilling to perform. Act as ex-officio member of all committees.
• Shall be responsible for communication with and management of the IBL website and Webmaster.
4.11.2 VICE PRESIDENT:
• Shall in the absence or disability of the President, perform all duties of the President.
• Chair the Rules Committee and call a meeting once a month or as often as may be required by the Board, notifying the league 2 weeks prior to the meeting (via the IBL website).
• Shall chair all special events committees.
• Shall resolve any disputes that appear on the score sheets within two weeks or submit them to the Board for resolution.
• Examine all potential sponsor bars (prior to the start of the season) and report to the Board any deficiencies which might disqualify them from league play, such as rips, being un-level or not having at least 2 sides free of obstruction for use of a full size cue stick.
• Plan and coordinate all special event tournaments, playoffs and West Coast Challenge matches.
• Shall record and keep the minutes of all Board, Captains and Rules Committee Meetings.
• Maintain correspondence with all other cities in regards to the West Coast Challenge.
• Responsible for mailing of invitations to Awards Banquet and correspondence pertaining to the Charity Tournament, as well as letters of reprimand.
• Maintain copies of all IBL forms and paperwork.
• Shall notify all captains, via email or phone, at least one day in advance of all Rules Committee and Captains meetings. Notify captains at least one week in advance of all special events.
• Shall proofread the handbook prior to printing and will assist the Statistician, if / when necessary in the publishing of Website.
• Shall maintain an on-going record of all league member’s phone numbers and mailing addresses.
• Shall collect all league paperwork including, standings, Websites, minutes, financial reports and score sheets from the appropriate officers and store safely until turned over to the historical society.
• Maintain copies and update website each season with Perpetual League Histories and In Memoriam.
• Shall be responsible for IBL bookkeeping and banking functions.
• Provide a budget for each season’s activities.
• Deposit all moneys collected within 3 days of receipt and furnish documentation of same upon demand.
• Demand and keep proper documentation of all expenditures according to accepted accounting procedures.
• Prepare financial statements for the Mid-Season Captain’s meeting and Awards Banquet.
• Shall be required by a majority vote of the Board for any expenditure over 50.00 and shall be cosignatory with at least 1 other officer on all IBL accounts.
• Shall be compensated at $50.00 per season.
• Shall be responsible for all entries of league standings which shall include, but not be limited to: team standings, team rosters and Top 20 list; and Website.
• Shall make updates to Bylaws, Match Policy, Rules and Histories. Certifying and retaining the original copies of these Bylaws as shall be amended.
• Shall maintain “user friendly” instructions for the performance of the Statistician’s job duties pertaining to the league standing sheets and shall do the typesetting for the handbook.
• Shall also review the score sheets for disputes and forfeits ensuring that the original score sheet (White Copy) is filed properly. Will account for the money received with each score sheet, turn over said monies and the yellow copy of the score sheet to the Treasurer and shall advise the Vice President of any disputes that appear on the back of any score sheet.
• Shall be compensated at $50.00 per season.
4.11.6 COMMUNITY RELATIONS:
• Shall be responsible for maintaining an ongoing contact with local publications, providing them with league statistics and upcoming event information.
• Shall assist statistician in procurement of ads for the handbook and other league publications as needed.
• Shall be responsible for coordination of all Gay and Lesbian Pride events.
• Shall be responsible for distribution of all league posters and flyers.
• Shall chair the Charity committee and share the responsibility of procuring items for the Tournaments.
• Shall perform other duties as assigned by the Board.
• Shall be responsible for maintaining an ongoing contact list of current league sponsors. List should include owner, manager or league liaison, sponsor address, sponsor phone number, and sponsor contact email.
4.11.7 BOARD MEMBER AT LARGE:
• Shall be an appointed position whose responsibilities will vary from season to season.
• General responsibilities will include but not be limited to, assistance in special events, playoffs and the West Coast Challenge.
• Term will be one season and may be reappointed each new season by the Board.
• This Position is a non-voting position.
4.12 RIGHTS OF OFFICERS - All rights granted to the Board by these Bylaws may be revoked at any time by a 2/3 vote of the team captains. The Board has the right to interpret Bylaws and grant exception when exception is just and for the benefit of the league.
4.13 OFFICE VACANCIES - Should any vacancy occur during an officer’s term, the IBL Board shall appoint someone to fill the vacant position. If a current elected member of the Board fills the vacancy, they will finish the term of their new office. If a new member is appointed to the Board to fill the position, they must be re-elected at the last Captain’s meeting or be replaced immediately by the newly elected member.
4.14 PRESIDENTIAL RESIGNATION - In the case of a President resigning and a Vice President who is unable to take over the responsibilities, the Board, by majority vote, may appoint a replacement. An election will be held at the last Captain’s meeting.
4.15 REMOVAL OF OFFICERS - An officer may be removed from office at any time, with or without cause, by a 2/3 vote of the total number of team captains, failure to attend at least 75% of total Board meetings, failure to carry out the responsibilities of their office or by a simple majority of the Board.
5.1 GENERAL - All meetings of the IBL are open to the membership. There will be an agenda for each meeting. In the interest of order and assuring the accomplishment of items set forth on the agenda, the chair has the right to limit discussion on all matters. Notwithstanding, the chair will make every attempt to hear any matter, which an IBL member wishes to address.
5.2 MEETING RULES - Meetings shall be governed by Robert’s Rules of Order as long as they are not in conflict with these Bylaws.
5.3 CAPTAIN’S MEETINGS - Without exception, attendance is mandatory for each team captain or their designated representative. Only team captains or their designated representative are eligible to vote. All business affecting IBL Bylaws, Match Policy, Rules and elections are voted upon at these meetings. Meetings are open to all members of the IBL and notice of such meetings shall be made available at the start of each season.
5.4 RULES COMMITTEE MEETINGS - Open to all members of the IBL, with all members eligible to vote. All business affecting changes, additions or deletions to IBL Bylaws, Match Policy or Rules must first come before a scheduled Rules Committee meeting. All motions passed by simple majority at committee will then be brought before the Board. No motion affecting IBL Bylaws, Match Policy or Rules may be brought before the captains without first being brought before and passed by the Rules Committee. Notice of all meetings must be made available to the membership at least two weeks prior to the date of the meeting.
5.5 BOARD MEETINGS - All Board meetings are open to the membership, with only elected or appointed elective Board members eligible to vote. All motions coming out of any Rules Committee must be voted upon and passed by a majority vote of the Board. All business affecting IBL policy, expenditures of money, playoff scheme, divisional format and WCC plans are made at these meetings. Non-scheduled Board meetings (when necessary) may be called following the notification of all Board members.
5.6 QUORUM - Simple majority of team captains will constitute a quorum at any Captain’s meeting. No quorum is necessary at a Rules Committee meeting. At least four (4) voting Board members must be present at a Board meeting. No business shall be considered at any meeting at which a quorum is not present.
6.0 CHANGES TO BYLAWS, MATCH POLICY, RULES & HISTORIES
6.1 PROCEDURE - All items affecting additions, deletions or changes to IBL Bylaws, Match Policy and Rules must first be discussed and passed by majority vote at a formal meeting of the Rules Committee, then by majority vote of the entire Board, followed by a 2/3 vote of the team captains. All changes to Bylaws, Match Policy and Rules take effect the following season, with either an addendum or new handbook presented to the league members. Any motion passed at the Rules Committee but voted down by the Board may still be presented for a vote at the last Captain’s meeting so long as the Board is notified in writing prior to that meeting.
6.2 HISTORY CHANGES - All additions, changes or deletions to league histories must be approved by unanimous vote of the Board.
6.3 HANDBOOKS – Any changes and / or updates to rules used by the IBL will take affect the following season. Any such modifications to the rules will be posted on the website, and will be included in the next printing of the rule book.
7.1 GENERAL - At the end of each regular season, the IBL will hold playoffs to determine the top team. In addition, the playoffs and regularly scheduled tournaments will be used to determine our representatives to the West Coast Challenge.
7.2 ELIGIBILITY - Players wishing to participate in the team playoffs must have played at least 25% of the games possible for any one player on the team.
7.3 FORMAT - The top four teams in each division will qualify for team playoffs. The lowest division will play the next lowest division on the first regular night of play after the end of the season.
The winning team of the first playoff will then play the next higher division, so on and so on, until there are only four teams remaining. The #4 team from the lowest division will play the #1 team from the next higher division, #3 will play #2, #2 will play #3, and #1 will play #4.
The higher division team (and the highest ranked in the case of two teams from the same division) will be the home team in a race to 9 match.
7.3.1 TIES – At the end of the season, team and individual ties will be decided by first reviewing the first half of the season and giving the tie to the team or person who won when playing each other in the first half. If the team split the score 8-8, the scores from the second half of the season will be reviewed for which team has more wins. In the event that the score is still split the Board will decide a tiebreaker (i.e. – play of a game or coin toss). If the individuals did not play each other in the first half, the tie will go to whoever won in the second half. If both individuals did not play each other at all during the entire season the Board will decide a tiebreaker (i.e. play of game, coin toss or number of wins in the first or second half of the season).
10.0 WEST COAST CHALLENGE ( WCC )
11.0 UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT
11.1 PROCEDURES - The Board will, upon its finding of such conduct, discipline any player by the following progressive actions:
• For the first infraction, a letter of reprimand will be written to the individual in question and their sponsoring bar.
• For the second infraction, a letter of reprimand will be written to the individual in question as well as their sponsoring bar and they will forfeit all of the player’s games during the match in which the incident took place.
• For the third infraction, they will be expelled from the IBL.
12.0 APPROVED TOURNAMENT BRACKETS
12.1A SEEDED 16 TEAM SINGLE ELIMINATION BRACKET
12.1B 16 PLAYER DOUBLE ELIMINATION TOURNAMENT BRACKET
12.1C 32 PLAYER DOUBLE ELIMINATION TOURNAMENT BRACKET
12.1D 64 PLAYER DOUBLE ELIMINATION TOURNAMENT BRACKET
# # #